Starbucks flat white copycat recipe
Learn how to make a flat white at home that tastes just like the one at Starbucks.
- 2 shots espresso
- 8 oz whole milk Or, plant-based milk
Prepare two ristretto shots in an 8 oz (235 ml) cup using your espresso machine
Pour 8 oz (235 ml) of whole milk into your pitcher and start steaming.
Once your pitcher is hot to the touch that means your milk is ready.
Knock and swirl your pitcher on your counter once or twice to burst any air bubbles and remove any excess foam with a spoon.
Pour from a higher angle in a circular motion and as you are getting closer to the top bring your pitcher lower and you will create a latte art dot on top.
- To make the ristretto shot you need to stop the espresso shot halfway through the extraction. If you are not sure how to do that you can use a small kitchen scale to weigh the shot or you can extract the coffee straight into an espresso shot glass, and stop the shot once it reaches half an ounce.
- Removing any excess foam with a spoon ensures that you can get the velvety texture that the flat white is known for!
- We recommend using a freshly round medium to dark roast coffee, as this roast profile is well known to compliment any espresso-based drink. Starbucks’s own Espresso Roast is a great choice!
- If you want your flat white to remain hot for longer, you can preheat your favorite mug with some hot water and discard that water before you pour in the ristretto shots.